Oh Rose, thou art sick

mardi, avril 25, 2006

Our national disease


If there's one thing Dutch people can't do, it's walking. And I mean really walking. Not strolling or sauntering or window shopping.
Having lived in Canada, I learned that, apparently, I walk really really slowly. But because I lived in Canada so long, I must have gained some leg activity, because people here complain that I walk way to fast nowadays.
It's not just people around me either. It's the whole nation that can't walk with some speed that will get you to places. And of course there is a reason for all this. It's our bikes.
We learn to bike from the ripe age of about five, and we get toy bikes before that time. This way, our legs are developed in a way that can make them go round, but not linearly forwards. If we need to get anywhere, we get our bikes. So if you ever meet a Dutch person, don't expect them to keep up with you.

2 Comments:

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home