Oh Rose, thou art sick

lundi, avril 10, 2006

Sick Blake


Most people who come to my silly blog through search engines seem to believe that I have something to say about Blake's poem; 'the Sick Rose'. I wonder why (rolls eyes). But because I'm a public pleaser, I shall now explain to you the meaning of this poem (as taught to me by one of my English literature teachers, I'm not just sucking this out of my thumb).

Now, The Invisible Worm is a man, or more precisely, a specific part of a man (it's his penis ok? Do I have to spell everything out for you?), he flies in the night because he's doing something secretive and Wrong (hence the howling storm as well), namely he's committing the terrible crime of raping an uncorrupted young flower (or girl, if that's what you'd prefer).
The Rose represents a young maiden, and she is sick because she has been corrupted (raped). The man found her 'bed of crimson joy' (does anybody not know why it's red?), and again, his love is Dark and Secret because it's of the illegal type. That's why it's destroying her life.
But I think you can also see it as a young girl who has a secret lover who comes to her at night and through their lovemaking might destroy her life by making her pregnant for example, or by giving her a STD. He has taken away her virginity anyway, so she's not the pretty perfect flower she used to be.

Happy now?
I'm very sorry to say I can't help the person who came here by searching for a painting of a vagina that looks like a rose, although I used to have one in my room in Toronto. My silly roommates didn't want it in the living room anymore, can you imagine that?
Mirror, mirror where's the Crystal Palace is from a Tori lyric, and doesn't have anything to do with Ani, people. Unfortunately I don't have any interviews with Katharine Blake. If you find one somewhere else, let me know!